Thursday, August 1, 2013

Watch What You Google

This is kind of scary:
He travels to Asia for work. She looks up pressure cookers online. And God only knows what the 20-year-old boy in the house Googles. That combination, apparently, is how you get a "joint terrorism task force" to show up at your door on Long Island:
"Meanwhile, they were peppering my husband with questions. Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked."
"Where are your parents from" is a pretty chilling question. Relevant: "They mentioned that they do this about 100 times a week. And that 99 of those visits turn out to be nothing."
WTF?  I remember searching pressure cooker because I really didn't know what the newscasters were talking about during the big Boston Marathon to-do.  I was also doing a lot of research into the West, Texas explosion at the same time.  Anyway, one of my friends from college is an FBI agent, so maybe he'll let everybody know I'm harmless.  Or maybe he'll get back at me for one or more times I gave him a hard time.

No comments:

Post a Comment