Sunday, August 11, 2013

It's Fair Time

Well, summer is almost over, because our county fair started up on Friday.  I've been out there the last couple of evenings asking neighbors about how great this year's crop is going to be, shooting the shit with folks I went to school with and generally supporting the fair by frequenting the beer garden.  Last night, I took a camera out and tried to get a few pictures.  As I wandered around, I came up with a People of Walmart-style idea of taking pictures of the grubbiest carnies and picking Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion and Division winners and such.  I found an early favorite for Grand Champion, but the lighting wasn't right to get a good picture, and he started making faces at me, so I gave up on that project. 

It is amazing how much smaller the fair seems these days.  There are a lot fewer lamb and hog projects, very few steers, and almost no dairy cows.  However, there are tons of chickens and turkeys, and a ridiculous number of goats and rabbits.  Now that the dairy barn is full of goats, I only go in there for cattle shows.  Why is it that time ruins everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment