Saturday, June 1, 2013

Cutthroat

Don't watch if you are squeamish:



The latest film is Cutthroat, by award-winning director Steven Cantor. Clint Malarchuk was famous for being an NHL goalie, but he would go down in hockey history for suffering one of the most gruesome injuries in the history of sports when an opposing player's skate severed his carotid artery. This story covers Malarchuk's miraculous physical recovery from the injury as well as the long and grueling emotional recuperation that took two decades and included an eventual stay in a mental hospital for PTSD treatment. [Warning: This film contains graphic footage of the injury.]

3 comments:

  1. I had not watched the Malarchuk incident since March of '89, as it had haunted me for years. Fortunately, this film's footage wasn't as graphic as what I saw on TV back then.

    Thank you for putting it up. I needed to face up to that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I barely remember when it happened, but I don't really ever remember seeing the footage. It is pretty gory. It is amazing to me that he survived it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up here in Canada (where they would probably even show slo-mo replays of a hockey player blowing his nose), it was shown on the 11 o'clock sports highlights, where I saw it. Except they aired even more of it than what you saw in the film. I still remember the large puddle on the ice. It was frightening.

    And yeah, it's unbelievable that Malarchuk lived.

    ReplyDelete