Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Racism Isn't Dead

I was sitting at the bar in a restaurant in Northeastern Ohio last night, getting some supper.  An approximately fifty-year-old guy came in and sat down beside me.  I was staring up at a television which was playing an ad criticizing Josh Mandel (who is a lying sack of shit).  The other guy said, "We have to get him out of office."  I thought he meant Josh Mandel, but before I could respond, the guy followed up with something along the lines of, "He isn't worth a shit.  Now I'm not racist (always followed by something racist) but, I've worked with a lot of blacks over the years, and none of them was ever worth a shit."  I managed to say something about both sides not being worth a damn, and then started fiddling with my phone.  After a quiet stretch, the guy said something about not meaning to offend me.  I denied a little too vociferously that I wasn't offended, but I was just stunned by the exchange.  Rarely does one so blatantly say something so racist.  I'm still not sure what made the guy say that when a Mandel ad was on tv, but I'm assuming he just saw a political ad and assumed it was about Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment