Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Racial Battle

Via the Dish, James Bennet discusses the role of race in this campaign:
The math is inexorable, and it points, as Brownstein wrote, "to the depth of racial polarization shadowing this election." This unsettling reality about our politics is often, strangely, left unexplored (with some notable exceptions) even as its effects are constantly discussed, and even celebrated, at least by political professionals. On Monday, in an interesting conversation with Politico's Mike Allen, Karl Rove observed that "Obama has no chance of carrying Indiana." Rove then recounted a conversation that he said he had had over dinner last spring with Indiana's governor, Mitch Daniels:
And I said, 'Mitch, is there a white Democrat south of Indianapolis who's supporting Obama who's not a college professor in Bloomington?' [Laughter] And he stopped for a minute over his green beans and says, 'Not that I can think of.' You know, Indiana's gone.
Well thank God I'm not in Indiana, but I guess I'm not a Democrat anyway.  I'll pull the lever for Obama as opposed to the retread morons of the Republican party.  I don't understand how somebody's solution to our economic problems after a decade of tax cuts and deregulation is more of each.  It didn't work before, it made things worse, and yet more is better.  Shut the fuck up, that is stupid.  I think I'll avoid watching the Republican National Convention this week, I don't need to have a stroke.  But as for the race card, Republicans are going to play it to the hilt (although a reasonable case can be made that Biden was also playing it).  If you thought 2008 was ugly, this year is really going to be ugly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment