Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lange's Brewery

Today at work, somebody mentioned the Lange family, which ran a Coca-Cola bottling plant in the city of Piqua back in the fifties and sixties.  I mentioned that before they ran the Coke plant, they had a brewery at the site.  That reminded me of one of my favorite Woodie stories of all time. 

He told me that when he was young, he would assist a local plumber in the winter to make extra money.  He said his favorite job was when they would work at the Lange Brewery.  According to Woodie, they carried tin cups around with them all day when they worked there, and in every room they went into, there would be a keg tapped.  They could just fill up their cups whenever they wanted.  He further told me that the plumber always waited until the late winter/early spring time frame to work at the brewery, so that there would be bock beer on tap when they were there.  I think that other than on the farm, this was Woodie's favorite place he ever worked.

I have to admit, that does sound like a pretty enjoyable workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment