Thursday, February 23, 2012

Whitewashed

ESPN:
National League MVP Ryan Braun's 50-game suspension was overturned Thursday by baseball arbitrator Shyam Das, the first time a baseball player successfully challenged a drug-related penalty in a grievance. The decision was announced Thursday by the Major League Baseball Players Association, one day before the 28-year-old outfielder was due to report to spring training with the Milwaukee Brewers.
Braun tested positive in October for elevated testosterone, and ESPN revealed the positive test in December.
"I am very pleased and relieved by today's decision," Braun said in a statement. "It is the first step in restoring my good name and reputation. We were able to get through this because I am innocent and the truth is on our side.
"We provided complete cooperation throughout, despite the highly unusual circumstances. I have been an open book, willing to share details from every aspect of my life as part of this investigation, because I have nothing to hide. I have passed over 25 drug tests in my career, including at least three in the past year."
Braun didn't argue evidence of tampering, didn't argue anything about science being wrong but argued protocol had not been followed. A second source confirmed to ESPN investigative reporter Mark Fainaru-Wada that Braun did not dispute the science but rather questioned chain of custody/collection procedure.
How convenient.  Shorter Ryan Braun:  3 for 4 is pretty good, whether it's batting in a game or testing for steroids.  I was watching MLB Network, and Harold Reynolds was saying whoever leaked the positive test news ought to be prosecuted.  Just a guess, but I don't think anyone in the Commissioner's office wants that person anywhere near a witness stand.  My guess is this got leaked because somebody in the lab knew this was going to get buried, and was pissed off.  If it wasn't leaked, Braun would have appealed in secret, it would have gotten overturned, and nobody would have been the wiser.  If the source was prosecuted, baseball would be required to turn over testing records, and we would know who had tested positive and won an appeal already.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe the source was an angry fan of another NL Central team.  I sure am.  But for me, everything points to the young, white reigning MVP getting let off because it would have given baseball a black eye.  How many people out there think Manny Ramirez would have won appeal under the same circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment